Saturday, October 20, 2007

Too much?

W ow, never thought I'd get to this point...

Liverpool-Everton derby today, England-South Africa World Cup final tonight and then in the wee hours of the morning ALCS game 6, Schilling v Carmona at Fenway....

I need sleep.

BTW, why does MLB have no consideration for anyone outside the US West Coast? No, I'm not referring to Europe, in fact in this case even the baseball hotbed of the East Coast is mistreated. If MLB did care, why would playoff games start at 8 so they are almost guaranteed to go on past midnight??

Thank god for my parents. I managed a layover on a business trip, and for the first time in a month I managed to get to bed before midnight, with almost 8 1/2 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Only another 30 odd hours to catch up then...

Which brings us back to the sport. How can someone consume this much in one day, on so many different time zones?

I know it is almost sacrilege, but I have actually decided not to watch the ALCS live. Instead I will get my father to start the MLB.tv feed for me tomorrow morning (as the major flaw in their webdesign is that there is no way you can load the feed without finding out the score...), and as I'm in the baseball equivalent of Siberia here in Sweden I fear not making it through the morning without finding out the score. So, "as-live" it is...

Egg chasers....
After a completely abysmal group stage, England managed to find their star player, their bottle, their team spirit and tackling ability to surprise not only Australia but also France, and now have a chance to avenge the 36-0 drubbing by the South Africans in the group stage. Lets not beat around the bush, as much as try rugby is fantastic, the success of England in this game relies on the play of Mr.Wilkinson, the most prolific point scorer in English history (and world cup history if my memory serves me right). You can all help by giving support at http://www.blesstheboot.com/, a very amusing page.

You'll never walk alone...
So, Liverpool host the Blues for the mid-day game today, and Stevie G must show that his less than stellar performance for the joke that is the England national team (or more accurately the joke that is their coach McIdiot) was a blip and not something indicative of his normal performance. New boy Torres does indeed seem to be the real thing, as shown by his 7 goals so far this season. Bring on the blues, most likely bottom feeders this year, but always dangerous in a derby. I wonder what lineup Rafa will produce, but even despite not having the most hawkeyed of attention the last few weeks, I would suspect it will be something along the lines of Reina-Finnan, Agger/Hyypia, Carra, Arbeloa - Pennant, Gerrard, Mascherano, Babel - Torres, Kuyt. Voronin/Crouch, Riise and perhaps even Kewell should come from the bench.

There's only one Actober...
Thankfully there's only one this year, but dear Dane, I think you'll find there's one every year...and sadly, unless the batting line-up and defense help out Schilling in the way they've helped out Beckett, then the RSN might have to look at next Actober. However, few people thrive on games on the line as Gehrig38, and even though his body is giving up on him a little, his transformation from a power pitcher to a finesse pitcher with one of the best splitters in baseball has been amazing to see. Prediction 5-3 to the Red Sox with Manny being Manny, and everything on the line for yet another sleep deprived Sunday and game 7.

...I so need to get another good nights sleep tonight...

No comments: