Monday, October 22, 2007

Sports Guy jr.

As an homage to one of my favourite sports writers, Bill Simmons, I will too keep a running log of the game tonight. Of course the twist being I'm in the UK, so it will highlight the madness of watching baseball across the pond.

01.55: V-Tek hits a double off the Green Monster to lead off the 2nd...damn the double play in to end the 1st...

02.06: Dice-K is getting ahead of every pitcher, compared to his previous start, where he went deep in almost every at bat. Good sign. Could this be the pre All-Star Matzusaka returning?

Note; honestly, how old is Kenny Lofton?? He can't be far off Julio Franco. I just wish I'll be even remotely as active when I hit his age...

02.15: I think the ump hosed Dice-K on that breaking pitch to Sizemore. Inning should be over now....And it is! Waist high fastball to strike out Sizemore. Boston 2 Indians 0, bottom 3rd.

02.21 Indians bullpen warming up, as Westbrook allows the third leadoff batter to get on base, Youk being 2 for 2, opening the inning with a double. And yet again the Fox commentators come with the They're not booing, they're saying "Yoouk" . Honestly, who doesn't know that by now??

02.28 Lowell hits a sac fly to right to score Youk, Boston 3 Indians 0. You have to wonder how long Westbrook stays in the game. TV picture shows Beckett sitting with the normal relievers in the bullpen clearly feeling like the odd man out..

[Somewhere around 2.45 I was flagging badly, and "watched" the rest of the game in bed without my laptop. How the hell does Simmons do it? Oh yes, he's 5 hours behind in time....]

Further notes from the game;

Looking back, I was surprised how long Westbrook stayed in, but alas it wasn't enough anyway. Although it would take until the non-DH games of the World Series for Tito to take my advice with the batting order, Ellsbury clearly gave the top of the order an additional spark (not like it really needed it with D-Po and Youk), and boy does the kid have wheels.

Dustin Pedroia, who to use a term from american football, has a non-stop "engine" clearly is playing at a level he shouldn't, based on his experience. He's scary. All "our" kids, including Youk (who of course looks older than I do) are scary. Truly the next generation. A generation that could be perennial contenders.

A week late, but at least I finished the post...Pap takes over from a flawless Okie, gets the last 5 outs and suddenly the Red Sox are in the World Series.

It's strange, somehow I wasn't worried. Don't know why.

No comments: