Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Witnessing history...pt 2

Yet again Lady Luck gave me her blessings and I managed to stumble upon history in sports terms for the second time. No, not another no-no, but this time the major league debut of a certain 100 mph+ phenom.

On yet another visit to the girl, now in D.C, we experienced a very cool VIP treatment at Camden Yards as the Lester led BoSox crushed the increasingly hapless Orioles.

Camden Yards was the 7th MLB stadium I visited (after Fenway, Old Yankee Stadium, Old Tiger Stadium, Wrigley Field, Citifield and Oakland Coliseum) and I must admit after Fenway probably my second favourite (Wrigley was prior to me knowing anything about baseball, so I probably didn't appreciate it the way I would if I was to return...).

With a pretty decent fanbase and a glorious stadium it is a shame to see the product Peter Angelos puts out each year. Some people think Showalter might turn them around, but I think there has to be a change of ownership before that will happen.

We also had one spare evening in DC, and on a whim I'd bought some cheap (compared to Fenway) tickets for me and the Girl to see the Nats. I'd looked at the rotation and the schedule and was hoping for a miracle.....

...and we got it!

A jam packed stadium and Stephen Strasburgh striking out 14 Pirates was as good as it gets in the nation's capital in terms of baseball!

Amusingly, the electronic scoreboard's K counter only goes to 12.....not that the Nat's had been close to using that prior to Strasburgh!

No comments: