Monday, March 09, 2009

Materialistic madness

What you sow you shall reap. What goes in must come out. Etc. Etc.

So how come I'm so bloody surprised about the amount of stuff I have? How can I be shocked that my belongings (sans furniture) required almost 30 moving boxes? Which I now have to try to fit into a 100 sq ft room....

Not. Going. To. Happen.

I'm sitting here, trying to see the actual floor in between the masses of just....well....stuff.

So the next weeks will be spent weeding and sorting and filtering. Not used in the last year? Gone.

Things to do:

  1. Hang up pictures. (Might seem like a strange priority, but you'd be surprised how much space pictures take on the floor. )
  2. Sort and put away clothes. (Note: Try to avoid having a non-functioning washing machine for 2 weeks before moving house. Result is all your clothes in big blue IKEA bags.)
  3. Pack up one more box of books and put into storage. (Surprising stat no. 47: Books take up space. And when you've had 10+ years in a large house, with plenty of bookshelves, restricting your large collection to 1 bookcabinet is not an easy task. )
  4. Sort out parking permit.
  5. Try to fit everything into the kitchen cabinets. (Clearly some weeding out needed here too.)
  6. Go for a run. (This will actually be item no.1. October might seem far away, but so is 13 miles through London on foot. In 2 hours hopefully. Running programme starts in earnest today.)
Thank god I've got nothing to do then. At least I've got just about 3 weeks until the season starts in glorious HD.

1 comment:

Niki said...

Now my 6 suitcases to London don't seem like such a big deal do they? ;)