Friday, January 27, 2006

Cereal Killer

Bugger....

Earlier in the week, before I got a case of the flu, I'd written a relatively long draft about the pro's and con's of having Coco Crisp in the Red Sox outfield, and looked at the Crisp-Riske-Bard for Marte-Shoppach-Mota trade that The Boston Globe reported that the Red Sox were close to finalising with the Cleveland Indians.

Of course since then Mota "failed/not failed" a physical, the deal's off the table and both sides are looking to restructure it.

One that is being talked about now is Red Sox trading Matt Clement to the Reds for outfielder Austin Kearns. The Red Sox would then swap outfielders (Crisp for Kearns) with the Indians with a host of other minor leaguers changing post codes. We'll see where that one takes us, but I, for one, am a much calmer animal with Theo back in the driver's seat.

Today's most interesting article contains this great quote:

The thing that I find funny is that some of the better writers suck at their jobs from my standpoint: Shaughnessy and [Bill]Conlin are two that come to mind. Two separate incidents from each of them told me all I needed to know about how bad members of the media can be. Dan wrote a column basically calling Pedro a piece of trash after he left the ball park on Opening Day 2004, talking about what a bad guy and horrible person he was for doing so. This is the same guy who waxed poetic years earlier when Roger Clemens did the exact same thing, calling Roger a gamer, someone that despised losing. Don't get me wrong, there is no bigger Clemens fan than me, but the two opposing viewpoints on two people doing the same exact thing paint a stark picture into how these guys look at what they do.

Number 38 himself has been emailing Bill Simmons, and told his version of some of the events in 2004 and 2005, and how many times Manny can utterly confuse everyone in one given day. Top stuff!

One thing that came back to me was that I never managed to peg down which Red Sox player bad mouthed gehrig38 to the Boston press. I don't want to sully anyone's name, but I'm slightly suspicious of Millar or Foulke.

No comments: